Saturday, April 3, 2010

Spring Break aaaaahhhhhhh.....


Its Spring Break.... aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh.....
So we started our Spring Break with Alex & I going to my mom & dad's house in Delaware for a couple of days. We both needed a little change of scenery and...well... I just really needed my "posse" backup. Things have been challenging with Alex being sick off and on. Brent and I do not understand any of it and as much as we really try to be understanding and patient with her, we are not always winning the "parent of the year" award! This anxiety thing that the docs think she has is just such unfamiliar territory for us. We try so many different things, so many different approaches, tools... but sometimes, nothing seems to work and we feel like beating our heads against the wall. So Spring Break was welcomed with open arms for all of us! Having my mom, dad and brother around for a couple days felt great... like I had someone there to catch me if I fell.
While I was home, I found out an old highschool classmate had passed away... major mortality reality check! It wasn't someone I was super close with but I graduated in a class of only thirty-something, so we were all like one big family growing up together.... so it still hit pretty hard. A bunch of old classmates went... it was so great to see everyone... not under the circumstances at all, but its comforting to know there is still something good that can come out of something so horrible. We all gathered after the viewing for a bite to eat... we hugged, laughed, shared photos of kids... it was wonderful. It was a bitter sweet evening that was the stuff that truelly feeds a persons soul.
So for the last half of our Spring Break we have just tried to chill at home... working on getting through Alex's anxiety stuff... having some good days (as seen in the photo).. and some not-so-good days. But all in all, I think we are making baby steps in the right direction... 2 steps forward then 1 step back. We've had beautiful weather, which certainly helps freshen the spirits for everyone! :) So I come upon Easter with a thankful heart... for the blessings I have been given. With some of the frustration of trying to understand Alex's new situation with this anxiety stuff, I have not said my thanks enough... Life is not always a box of chocolates. Its the grace in which we handle ourselves with each trial and tribulation, right? Oh how I do not feel so graceful lately... but I wake up each day... trying to do things just a little bit better than the day before. So Happy Easter 'all! Let's celebrate this unbelievable gift we have been given... and a chance to start a new, fresh day today...

No comments:

Post a Comment